Friday, November 28, 2014

A thankful thanksgiving: Diet review

This Thanksgiving, I have so so much to be thankful for. For the first time in a very long time, thanksgiving is significant to me. You see Thanksgiving day 27th of November, marks exactly 14 days (2 weeks) since I started taking Lamictial. It was 1 day after I had the outpatient proceedure for my back. On the 13th I started taking 25mg of Lamictal and started to notice results immediately. On thursday the 20th I moved from 25mg to 50mg and I feel even better. I am thankful for sleep. For restful sleep. For being able to sleep through the night without getting up severally to eat. I am thankful that I am able to deal with the shame, the hurt, the dissapointment in myself and the low self esteem. Its a wonderful thing to sleep through the night. In addition my relationship with my sister is getting even better. We are talking about our issues with weight. We are communicating in a way that we have never done before. I used to see her as superhuman and flawless. Used to fear her wisdom. But now I realize that just like me, she has her fears and failures. Ok. So it was a new type of thanksgiving for us because for the first time ever we decided against turkey. We opted for beef instead. Dinner was Ewaagoyin, yam pottage, obe ata (pepper stew) and nkwobi (goat meat in a spicy sauce). It was a huge shift from the usual rice (fried, jollof and coconut), fried plantains, turkey, cake and soda. We had soda but it was diet soda. Now the African yams are high in calories but they are also super high in fiber. So I can expect increased intestinal activity. So yesterday morning my mom, sister and I went on an hour walk. We burned about 400 cals as per fitness pal. For breakfast I had one string cheese 50 cals and a boiled egg 70cals totalling about 120. Now for lunch, I had some leftover pepper soup. But the meat had too much fat on it. However I was to hungry to care and so I ate it all. Now after dinner my sister and SIL went for a walk. I wanted to go but my back was killing me. So I just stayed pu. We ended the day by watching a nice movie together and we laughed the night away. So I need to up my game with my diet because I cannot exercise like I want to. I am going to do so by cutting down on meat and more fruits and vegetables. I wanna incoporate fruits into my breakfasts. Instead of having only salads, I also want stirfries. So thats going to be a new thing in my diet. I am also on the rampage for new fruits and vegetables. Recently, someone introduced me to something called sweet lemons. I am in hot pursuit of this stuff and I will tell you more when I catch it. I am off now. Wish me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment